PDA

View Full Version : Where did you learn web design?

Ross
05-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Did you get tutored, or teach yourself? And if so, what sites did you use etc?

domedia
05-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Personally I was completely self-thought. I looked at source code and tried to modify it to see what happened. Later I discovered DW, and was able to work *alot* more productive. Project Seven ('http://www.projectseven.com/') has always been a great place for me to learn more Dreamweaver specific techniques, and WebMonkey ('http://www.webmonkey.com') (back when the site was decent) for more general web design and html.

Nowadays I'm smart enough to buy books and have ready reference to stuff when I need it :)

wannamartin
05-20-2004, 08:13 PM
B) I began as self taught, but later enrolled in a program at the University and got a certification in Internet Multimedia Design (2yr course). Although I knew how to run many program like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Frontpage and such, I learned more about the finer points of design layout, typography, information archetecture, section 508 compliance of the ADA, usability studies, action scripts, Quicktime Pro, Illustrator, MySQL, PHP, javascript, Dhtml, team management, and more.

I feel like the certificaion also helped my confidence in knowing that my self-taught education didn"t have any gaps left where I might have missed something.

Good Luck to You!

gmcrone
05-20-2004, 09:46 PM
I am self-taught also. I believe most people are today, then when they want to learn new skills they take a course. The only courses I ever took were computer science and electronics in university. I did come from a print background which I believe made the transition to web easier.

When I learned how to make web pages there were no courses or schools available. I just read through the W3's beta proposal for HTML 1.0 and went from there. Asked a lot of questions from W3 members when I got stuck, but version 1 didn't have much to it so it was fairly easy. (black text on a grey background as colour wasn't even around yet)

domedia
05-20-2004, 10:15 PM
When I learned how to make web pages there were no courses or schools available. I just read through the W3's beta proposal for HTML 1.0 and went from there. Asked a lot of questions from W3 members when I got stuck, but version 1 didn't have much to it so it was fairly easy. (black text on a grey background as colour wasn't even around yet)
gmcrone,
wow.. :blink: at what point did you get into html? When I started html was already version 3.

gmcrone
05-20-2004, 11:02 PM
The beta proposal was introduced in 1991 and first published in 1992 as HTML 1.0
by the W3C.
So I guess I am celebrating 12 years or so as a web designer.
My first company By Design Publishing (still going strong, btw) worked with a lot of University libraries. We would design computerized catalogue sytems for them and interconnect to other university libraries across the country (US & Canada). When we heard about the WWW we saw an immediate opening for us to write web pages open to the public for searching their home town libraries. Of course this was all done on Unix systems and the public had to actually be in the library to use it.
As soon as home computers could connect to the Internet (or ArpaNet as it was called then) we opened Design Consulting to actually publish these sites. Over the years we have specialized in intranets as these are very easy to use for workers in corporations. As soon as VPN technology became available we started to hook these intranets into extanets for our clients with widespread offices.

Sorry to ramble on, but it has been a fabulous ride so far and the future is looking very bright.

Mike....

tomcromp
05-23-2004, 12:37 PM
i just opened up photoshop and messed about untill i go the effect i liked.

underzen
06-07-2004, 03:56 AM
I use to buy templates cause I was horrible at web design in photoshop and I was also a bit scared to try it cause I thought people would laugh. After purchasing a few templates I was able to pick up on the tricks that they used in the templates. The rest is history.

cdingman
06-10-2004, 12:32 AM
I learned mostly myself and took a few classes. Most of the classes I had were programming and DB stuff but I pretty much am self taught at graphic design.

:)

underzen
06-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Most of the stuff I learned in school was basic asp and db design. Although I did take a great course in Oracle DBA which I did learn alot.

natimage
06-11-2004, 02:58 AM
I'm self-taught. Questions on forums, books and online tutorials have been a blessing. I have been fortunate enought to have access to some Skillsoft training...but I haven't taken advantage of the free courses like I should!

Ves
07-12-2005, 10:23 PM
learned most from webmonkey but after a absent of 3 years from the net I forgot most stuff as I was still learning.

bkendall
09-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Reading through these posts I am reminded of my beginnings... It's funny I never had any idea I would end up as a web designer but then how many of us can say it was their dream as a little kid.

I am also completely self taught, I started by writing for a local music magazine and then began doing their site. From there I began doing the sites for local bands that I ran across through the zine.

At this point I was beginning to feel fairly confident in my skills and began pursuing a day job in order to get benefits. After landing a job at an internet startup (is that still a four letter word) I noticed that the other two designers had both received art degrees and looked at me as some sort of a hack. In truth we were all html hacks but nevertheless I always felt somewhat inferior to them in regards to pure design skills.

At any rate I kept going and eventually I discovered that I didn't have any reason to feel inferior, everyone has a beginning and there are no hard and fast rules as to where those beginnings must originate from.

davidj
10-03-2005, 12:28 PM
when i started doing this stuff i remember chatting to a girl who was troubleshooting some HTML i had mucked up. I think it was 95. I remember coz she was earning 40K (sterling) as a HTML coder (that was before the bubble burst)

in the days when web companies had seperate design departments and HTML depatments

now you have to be a master of everything and expect less than half the cash